- Hockey Junior World Cup: India beat Australia in shootout to enter final
- Vijender Singh’s D-day against a Tanzanian ‘Lion’
- India vs England, 5th Test, Day 2 live cricket score: Jadeja 3/78, ENG 352/7
- R Ashwin becomes second fastest bowler to clinch 200 wickets in Test history
- Ravindra Jadeja’s hilarious reply as to why new batsmen struggled on turning tracks
The Income Tax department on Friday seized Rs 1.4 crore cash, including Rs 8 lakh in new currency, in searches on the premises of a civil contractor here as part of its anti-black money drive post demonetisation.
Officials said the seizure was made from a civil sub contractor identified as P L Soni, from a location in the Karol Bagh area.
They said the department conducted the searches based on a tip-off of alleged illegal cash being hoarded at this location.
‘The seizure of new currency was made in the denomination of Rs 2,000 notes. The old notes that were seized include the demonetised currencies of Rs 1000/500 and also the legal tender of Rs 100,” they said.
The department also conducted a survey operation at the Krishna Nagar branch of Axis bank here in connection with a probe, they said.