- Jos Buttler, Bowlers Help Rajasthan Royals Defeat Kings XI Punjab By 15 Runs
- 1983 World Cup Hero Kapil Dev To Debut On Comedy Show During IPL
- MS Dhoni’s Special Message For Armed Forces After Being Honoured With Padma Bhushan
- Rohit Sharma Reveals Why He Did Not See Dinesh Karthik’s Last-Ball Six
- Shami: was not aware of my wife’s 1st marriage, her 2 kids
Days after actress Swara Bhasker’s open letter to director Sanjay Leela Bhansali went viral, “Padmaavat” stars Deepika Padukone and Shahid Kapoor have urged for the film to be seen in the context of the historical period it is set in. Ms Bhasker’s powerfully-worded letter makes a case against the film, arguing that it glorifies jauhar and sati, acts that denied women their basic right to life. Speaking to DNA, Deepika emphasised that “Padmaavat” does not ‘endorse jauhar.’ Shahid told news agency PTI that “every practice happens for various reasons.” If that sounds thin, he qualified it by saying that the jauhar scene should be viewed keeping in mind that motives of the central character in it – Rani Padmavati, played by Deepika. Shahid takes the role of her husband Ratan Singh.